The purpose of the Korea International Studies Association is to contribute to the development of International Studies in Korea.
KISA was founded in 2009 in Seoul/Korea. It is co-managed by Dr. Brendan Howe, Professor at Ewha Womans University and Dr. Matthias Maass, Assistant Professor at Yonsei University.
KISA's objectives are to promote International Studies in the English language as an independent field of social studies in Korea.
Also, KISA aims at constructing a flourishing academic and professional community in the field using English medium.
The association was set up to foster an active scholarly network, support ongoing research, and contribute to an intellectually stimulating environment for scholars engaged in English language-based research in International Studies in Korea
Moreover, KISA fills the vacuum of associations or study fora in the field of international studies in Korea, particularly with regard to international scholars and practitioners.
In addition, KISA serves as a link with international associations and networks in the field of international studies.
- Construction of potential membership mailing list.
- Hosting of inaugural and annual conferences and AGM.
- Regular research workshops, seminars, and discussions to be hosted by member institutions on a monthly basis during semester time, regular meetings of secretariat throughout the year.
- Collection of best papers presented in annual Yearbook of International Studies.
- Endorsing the ISR journal of Ewha GSIS and Yonsei GSIS graduate journal (PEAR) as fora for publication by members at these respective levels.
- Website and mailing list to keep members informed and actively engaged.
- Policy recommendations to governments and other public organizations.
- Submission of panels for international conferences.
- Publication of a policy magazine along the lines of Foreign Policy.
Method and Procedure
- To plan and organize annual conventions.These conventions will be held at various institutions.
- Funding for the annual convention, conferences, workshops, or any other activity comes from the founding institutions and also external sources such as APISA, KRF, UN Peace University, and etc.
- Membership is open to individuals and as group membership to academic institutions.
- KISA is managed by a President and a Secretary-General.
Membership open to all with an interest in the analysis or practice of international studies in the English medium; the official language of the Association.
If you are interested in supporting KISA, please participate and join the KISA community. If you can support KISA financially, we would appreciate to hear from you.